Facebook “friending” Etiquette
I can’t believe it’s been 7 days since I returned home from my Road Warrior Princess tour of Arizona!
So… what have I been doing since my return you ask? Social Media networking, networking and networking some more! Talk about an ever changing “platform”! I spend hours each day following threads of information from one source to another – learning more and more about the integration of social media into our businesses and lives!
It’s such a blast to put up a new Facebook Fan Page for a client and watch it grow with just a few easy steps. At first it may seem a little overwhelming or time consuming but it will pay off in the long run. Like growing a garden – your social media “gardens” require planting seeds, nurturing, watering, TLC and weeding before the harvest months later.
Here are some simple suggestions to increase conversations and develop relationships:
- When you are sent an “invite”, take the time to click on their profile and find out a bit about them – where they live, their interests, what they do, etc.
- When you “accept” the invite…write a personalized message to each new “friend”
- Add them to one of your “friend” lists.
- Make “friends” lists – i.e. family, business friends, peeps, college, high school and on and on. On the “invite”, you’ll see a box that says “add to list”. Click on the box and you’ll see that you can create new lists.
- Be sure to reply in an uplifting and interesting way when people take the time to post to your wall.
- Post interesting, informative, educational and fun material on your wall which will keep people coming back to see the latest.
- Follow the 80/20 rule! 80% should be conversational or informative…and only 20% should be about your product or service!!! Very important! Otherwise people will get tired of always being “sold” and un-friend you!
- This is all simple social media etiquette…just like the kind your Mother taught you growing up.
- Above all else….be polite and respectful.
I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful Spring weather…so get out there and soak up the rays of sun, gentle breezes and the sound of songbirds in your backyard!
~ by ConnectTheeDots on April 8, 2010.