How Do You Bounce Back From Disappointment?
I was taught from a young age to “reach for the stars”… with a Mother who told me I could do anything I set my mind to. As a result, I’ve been fortunate to look at life in a positive light.
Of course, there are times I have been knocked down due to circumstances beyond my control but I have always gotten back up. I would be lying if I didn’t tell you there were times over the last few years where I’ve been a little slower in getting on my feet with a smile again. We all have those “lessons”… but I believe these are the times when our true character shines. How are we going to react or respond?
When life hands you lemons ~ i.e. being passed over at work; someone who you are attracted to doesn’t respond in the same way; a family member turning their back on you; moving to a new city and wondering what the hell are you doing here; and on and on ~ how do you make lemonade????
Here are a few of my favorite stress busters ~
- If anxiety rears it’s ugly head I stop what I’m doing, close my eyes, take a long deep breath in through my nose, then blow out the tension/stress through my mouth…and repeat until my mind is calm as well as my heart.
- I steep a nice cup of white or green tea…creating a peaceful and regenerative ritual; observing all the blessings in my life.
- I look around to see who I can lift up… such as the sales person at the 7-11; greeting each stranger I meet with a smile and “hello”; calling a friend just to say I was thinking of them; or sending a hand written note to someone special. It’s the little things we take for granted each day that make a big difference in someone’s life. How many times have you lit up when a friend compliments you unexpectedly? It always gives me the warm “fuzzies”!
- Then there are the tried and true activities to get your butt moving ~ a walk in nature or down a new trail; hitting the gym and sweating to Christina Aguilara’s “Dirty” CD; a quiet sun salutation in the early morning hours after waking to a new day and reading one of my many treasured books.
- Or you could post a new blog like I’ve learned to do! 🙂
As Wayne Dyer has always shared ~ Change your Thoughts, Change your Mind. Developing “tools” with which to adjust your mental state of mind and attitude are invaluable in bouncing back from the disappointing lemons of life. Each of those lemons though can be transformed into the most delicious lemonade you could ever imagine! All it takes is a little Sugar to sweeten the mix! Add some “sugar” into your day, attitude and living…then stand back and watch the abundance pour in!
Make it a day filled with the sweet nectar of life!
Photo courtesy of Marque Kelsey